Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sunbaked minus the marrow and sinew









(click photo to see larger image)

I was so happy the other day to go kayaking with my friend dennis.
I haven't been in so long and we went to one of the little islands by his house in Magnolia (where I used to live down the street from him).

It was a great adventure,
I even found some treasures!
I have been looking for bones to work with for some time now
and although I am not exactly sure what I am going to do with them yet,
I know they will be something so beautiful and beloved...

Dennis told me that he had seen a seal that had died out on the island
and when we went out yesterday, we (well, he pointed out to me) found a bunch of vertebrae and ribs and a few other miscellaneous bones.

They are so beautiful and bleached by the sun.
I feel so honored to have been given the opportunity to collect these.
I love that these artifacts have the spirit of the sea sun-baked into them.
I will revere these gifts from the sea.
I love seals.

Have you found any wonderful treasures lately?

1 comment:

  1. great finds - i have some vertebrae too, discovered over time, although i think most of mine are from sea lions. there is something so tactile and wonderful about bones, i think. can't wait to see what you do with them. for my own part, i picked up some shells this weekend at the beach.

    ReplyDelete