Monday, November 10, 2014

Sunny After The Storm




























We had our first snow last week!
It was wild and although I had heard in passing something about snow, I didn't think much of it because, well, let's be honest, I don't think those meteorologists really know what they are talking about. Also, this is New England and the saying goes: "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes...". So, needless to say, I didn't think anything would come to fruition or stick.
But it did and although it wasn't a ton of snow, everything was covered! And then the next day, the sun was shining and the white washed away.

It was a perfectly handsome day to head out into the woods for some fresh air with the dogs. The sun was high and bright and I took to heading into the forest from a different entrance. It was sublime! I went in right off the road, by Busywell's Pond (below a massive estate that has apparently just been purchased after sitting idle for quite some time).  It is a resplendent area that connects to one of the Greenbelt properties, but it is not as popularly traveled, which makes me giddy. Plus there is a little brook that leads down into the pond, grown over with moss and ferns and with pools and little waterfalls which were bubbling and gurgling happily since having all the rain and melting snow!

I have to point out, if you have never been to New England in the fall, that the colors this time of year are exactly perfect. It is a rainbow of warmth and the woods seem as though they have been lit ablaze! Even the fallen leaves are flashy and kaleidoscopic!

Bessie Mu and Margaret found a turkey that I assume was fairly young, since it didn't flush and just stayed hushed in the brush as they circled around. Can you find it in the plethora of photos above? It is the photo of the seemingly dead pile of piney branches- you can just barely make out an eye and beak...

For days after this find, I continued to enter the woods via this route. There is something about the pools and little waterfalls that just sooth my senses and render me calm and encourage stillness in my soul. And every day should consist of visiting places that encourage these feelings. In fact, it is a similarly beautiful day out today and I am feeling inspired to take a trip out there in between working.




2 comments:

  1. Oh man! Is that a fleece hat with your logo on it??!!
    These pictures are so clear and full of chroma. Your land is heavenly, Britt.
    You're a water baby that's for sure.
    Visit that place often and find your stillness that you crave, deep in that forest.
    Big smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a knit beanie, Lynn! I have a couple that I am playing around with in grey!!! I am trying to spend as much time out there as possible, it is so rejuvenating!
      xx

      Delete